Thursday, March 12, 2015

"I Can't Carry It For You... But I Can Carry You"


"I Can't Carry It For You... But I Can Carry You"

This quote is from The Return of the King the final episode in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I recently treated myself to watching the extended version. It is the climactic part of a long and difficult journey, and shows one person willing to give their all to help their companion. It is an intense moment when it seems all is lost, beyond hope, and they just can't go on.

At times, life can be extremely hard. Most of the time we can't take away another's heavy load ... for it is not ours to take. We also don't need to provide answers to their struggle ... for it is not ours to solve. Does that mean we just walk away? Do we try to solve it for them anyway? No. As much as we would like to remove them from their struggle, it is their burden to carry. But we can "carry them." We can support them by coming alongside and walking the troubled and weary road with them. We don't need to run ahead, trying to solve the problem for them, nor should we walk behind and wait for them to fall. We can walk alongside with an arm around their shoulder, offering words of encouragement, spending time quietly listening, allowing our hearts to hurt with them,  and even weeping with them. We can carry them by bringing simple gifts, meals, helping with chores, and reducing other loads; so that they have more strength to go on. They will still have to travel their road, but with a true friend walking alongside, the overwhelming impossible journey becomes a bit more possible.

If we don't know of other's struggles, how can we help? Too many times our prideful, self-sufficient, selves won't share our struggles. My father had responsibility placed on him at an early age, and did not believe you should share your problems with others. As a result he unknowingly distanced himself from others. Even in the hardest of times, all responses to "How's it going?" were met with an overly positive and sometimes humorous response like: "If I were any better, there'd have to be two of me." While I love being a positive and encouraging person, it is not true all the time. The question is so prevalent that I found a website titled 100 RESPONSES TO "HOW ARE YOU?" Personally, I have never liked that question. A more real question is, "What's bothering you?"  The truth is, we all have struggles, even handicaps. Sometimes our challenges are big and insurmountable, other times smaller. Some handicaps are easier to hide than others, but we all have them. If we all have problems, why do we try to hide them? Do we really believe that hiding them will make them go away? What we need to do is to share and grow through them.

We are all inspired by those with physical handicaps who push forward and do not let their handicap keep them from doing what they have been called to do. Do you think they would have accomplished much if they had they tried to hide their handicap? No, they accepted what they had letting others share in their life: Pain, struggles, loss, etc. ... If you have not looked into the life of Nick Vujicic you need to (www.lifewithoutlimbs.org). He has made his handicap his strength. Something I believe God enjoys.

We were made for community. Real authentic community. Community is not the casual "how's it going, how's the weather, did you watch my team, did you hear about ,.." surface level conversations with our neighbors as we pass them by. What we need is real Christian community. I say Christian community because the model for perfect community was laid out in the book of Acts: "There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need" (4:34-37 ESV).  The early Church lived in such community where no one was in need. I like that idea. We all need to be living in intentional community with people willing to sacrifice for each other. When one falls down we can help lift them up. When we fall down they will be able to do the same.

I have had some challenges, and I'll admit to having handicaps. One of the reasons I write, is to share some of my story with others so that they will be encouraged. My writing is proof that God can take one's weakness and turn it into good. All through my younger years in school I passionately detested English class and any sort of writing assignment. My handwriting is something even I can't read, and my spelling is creative, to say the least. I was extremely shy, and far too inwardly focused to be of any good to anyone. Then, as an adult, I went back to school to get my degree ... Needless to say, I had a load of writing to do. Thanks to the computer, and some encouraging teachers, I found I enjoyed writing, and even more amazing, had people saying they liked my writing. I'm still amazed.

Ever wonder what God wants for you? Believe it or not, the answer is simple. He wants you to help someone. "Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2)

(This image is a favorite of mine, and originally appeared in the Good News Bible and is one of many by Annie Vallotton, who has spent a lifetime lightening the load for many through her art(short bio and interview).

If you are not part of such a caring and supportive community, please let me know as I want to help get you connected. Regardless of where you live, there is a community waiting for you, to help you grow in spirit, mind, and body.

- Kirk
For other posts, see kbleavins@blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment