Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Let there be joy!

All teenager

    It has been 11 days since we returned from Latvia. It seems like Vanda has been here much longer. With us hosting her this summer, and our 3 weeks in Latvia, we have become a family is a short amount of time. I think Beth and I are ahead of Vanda in this area as she certainly has the harder part of this adventure; It is hard to comprehend the amount of change she is experiencing. She does not speak much of her feelings, but I do my best to understand and interpret her responses to life’s situations. Looking back, I can see how her time here this summer is much different from her time now, but there are connections. I do think it was one of the many pieces that have helped Vanda with this transition. She grieved while in Latvia but she is happy to be here with us.
    Vanda is attending school with me 4 days a week, but it is more like homeschooling. She attends Art, PE, and Technology, and watches Dance. As for many her age, dancing is a bit scary, but the teacher, Sara Keys, is wonderful and Vanda is connecting with the girls. I ‘m still trying to find and understand the resources I need to help her with her core subjects. I feel like I’m getting another crash course in education. Daily she is using an Internet program called Live Mocha. Other than the program runs slowly during the day, it is a good program and is helping Vanda with her English skills. Vanda is doing well with her English, and her vocabulary score is very high. Her biggest struggle is with grammar and forming sentences. We have very few problems in understanding each other with our daily communication.
    While we are still figuring out routines and such, Vanda is already an integral part of our family. The other night I found myself sitting at a table with four delightfully giggling girls: Vanda, Sarah, Alyssa, and of course, Beth. I am certainly outnumbered. Lord keep me strong.
    I’ve saved the best for last. Today, Spring must have caught Vanda. While we have had temperatures even into the 80’s, Latvia is just reaching into the 40’s. Vanda wanted to go swim in the lake. Yes the lake. It was the highlight of her time she spent with us this past summer. We told her that today the water would be cold, but she is a teenager after all. I am a believer in experiential education so I said sure. She was so excited. For the rest of the story, see the following video.

    Vanda has added to the laughter and joy in our home. I was thinking today; we do not pick our biological children, God sends them. In much the same way, we did not choose Vanda, God sent her, and God, the very best Father, knows how to give good gifts.

Happily connected to God’s family,
Kirk

1 comment:

  1. My heart just sings every time I read a blog post about your new family. Welcome home, Vanda. Your family is very lucky to have you. I love you. Joni

    ReplyDelete