Monday, January 19, 2015

New Year reflection

It has been a long time since I updated my blog. I received encouragement fro my Christmas letter, hat I thought I'd try to pick up writing again. So let me start with a clip from my letter...

2014, what a year. I believe it takes the record for being the most challenging year ever. It was not that we were floating in a life raft for over a month, only to be beaten in a POW camp (reference the recent movie “Unbroken”). Still I would say we have had our own share of adventures. That being said, it was a good year, for we have loved, and we have been loved. We have grown, and we have learned much. God is faithful. I have not done a year-end letter in a while, and I think my writing is out of practice so...here goes...


Yes, we have suffered a great loss, and expect the pain to continue for a long time. Yet it does not control us, and in fact, it helps grow us. We are different people than we were a few years ago. Amazing, despite our unwillingness, growth happens. We have been given the gift of knowing more of what real love is like: how much God loves us, how much He has sacrificed for us, and how He desires a relationship with His creation. Vanda is no longer living with us and wants nothing to do with us. She left us after she turned 18 this past summer. It is hard looking at all the pictures we have of her and remembering all we have done with her over the last five years. We pray regularly that one day she will know and understand the love God has for her, and the love of a family. Our heart is with her, yet we have to let her go...Love does not insist on its own way, one of the many lessons we have been taught...


I've recently found some of the writings of Dallas Willard through another of my favorite authors, John Ortberg. In the book Love Beyond Reason, he says, “With this magnificent God positioned among us, Jesus bring us the assurance that our universe is a perfectly safe place to be.” It does not mean there is no pain, it just means we have a God that will help us through it. While I admit, I would rather avoid the pain and trouble, it can, and will be, made good.


We are blessed with living close to our wonderful families and also blessed to live in a great neighborhood. Some amazing people live here, yet we don’t spend as much time as we’d like with them. We are hoping to play more this year.


Let not your hearts get cold,
and may the love of the Trinity surround you,
and fill you with wonderful Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment