Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Let's Ride!

Few things are as wonderful as seeing the world through the eyes of a child. (Not literally of course, that sounds difficult and painful. Modern medicine is great but....) OK , back on track here.
Alyssa and I have been out every day this week on our "new" bike. We go out first thing in the morning, and she talks the entire time. (Two guesses where that comes from, and it's not me.)
Whether we are saying hello to our neighbors or she is remembering which way mommy went in her car, the smell of the humid air on the Green-Way, the bumps in the road, whether or not we are peddling, where are we going?, Daddy, remember where we went yesterday?, can we stop at the park?, look at that cat, I like going fast, do you?, what are we doing when we get home?, my new bike has only 1 wheel, Hey look at that car it looks like Sarah's, when can I peddle backwards?.... (to be continued..)
You get the idea, it is awesome, and real. Not pretending to be something, no trying to impress, not worried about anything, just experiencing the world and interested in it all.
Compare that to a "mature " father who has the following going on in his head. At least he is smart enough to keep it in, or is he?
Are these cars going to hit us? am I gong too fast?, how slow should I go when turning on this gravel?, my body is not used to this bike, there are parts that are going numb, I hope Alyssa pedals going up this next hill, Isn't that a lovely sound my knee makes as I peddle around and around, what time do I need to get home? where should we go now, do I have time?...
So is that really "maturity or have I let "life" take away my ability to enjoy, really enjoy what is going on around me, to have an expectation of the life that is around. Perhaps it is too much focus on self and not an the wonders of the world around, perhaps it is that part of me that was numb that gets in the way....
Well as she is learing to ride a bike I pray i will re-learn how to enjoy and have an attitide of adventure in my life.
Let's Ride!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. That is soooooooo true and soooooo hilarious. I especially love the part about letting Alyssa take the next hill! Go, Alyssa! What a blessing to enjoy Davidson, first thing, with the most beautiful blonde on the planet! And she's smart too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kirk, I have a theory about kids: riding makes their lips loose. Riding a horse, bike, scooter, 4-wheeler, go cart...whatever. I never hear my kids talk as much as they do when riding. We are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete