Saturday, March 7, 2009

Here you go, swim!


 “Here you go.”…Push…,”now start swimming!”

Is this the way to learn swimming? Perhaps, but I have not met anyone willing to learn that way. While this approach is great for movies, it generates anxiety, stress, and can cause harm. Is there a better way? Can a person learn to swim without all the trauma of a “sink or swim” approach? Can it even be enjoyable or fun? Yes, learning to swim, like any learning activity, can be fun.

Start with a basic need, safety. Young or old, we all like to feel safe. When we feel safe, we can be free to explore. In teaching swimming, I like to start by letting people know that safety and fun are related. Actually, safety is fun! That may get a puzzled expression, but now I have their attention. It is like a game, once you learn the rules it is a lot more fun.

So why do people want to swim? The answers are as varied as the fish in the sea: my mother made me, I am going on a canoe trip, I want to impress the girls, I am afraid of drowning, and more. Motivation is an important factor in learning. If the motivation is external, “my mother made me” the desire to learn is low, if it is internal, “I want to go canoeing,” you are over half way across the pool. The lure of fun can be a good motivator. At times, I will jump into to the pool, make a big splash, and come up saying “Wow that was fun, do you want to have fun?” It is an open invitation to play.

Many people never learn to swim because of fear. Whether that fear comes from life experience, a parent, or the evening news, fear can be a major obstacle in learning. Facing fear is the next step in opening the door to new adventures. What is the cure to fear? A major component for overcoming fear is trust. Trust helps us see past the fear and allows us to play.

Trust is a delicate issue and it is lost much faster than gained. Before placing your trust in someone, you want to know: just whose side are you on? Are you there for them or for yourself? Do you have what it takes to help? Are you reliable? Phrases that I have found helpful in earning a person’s valuable trust are: “I will help you”, “I won’t let go”, “my job is to see that you have fun,” Letting them know you genuinely care can strengthen the relationship. On the other hand, failure to be consistent or reliable is a quick ticket out of the trust market.

          As a coach/ instructor, my rules are simple: we do not say, “I can’t” or “No.” Instead say “Yes,” “I’ll try,” or “I need help.” I am in charge of having fun, and swimming is fun! We all need coaches. Coaches help us face our fears and see the potential that we did not know was there. They encourage us to do more, to go past our feelings and onto success.

Now breathe, yes relax. This is an important step. We are designed to float; a tense body will sink, while a relaxed body will float. Learning is very natural, we need to relax and enjoy the water!

Let’s play!

No comments:

Post a Comment